We have just published an article in our "Hall of Fame" column about Peter Stubbs who served in the BPS from 1957 until his retirement in 1981. Sadly, Peter passed away on 12th February 2019.  Included in the article is this photo of Eastern Division  personnel when Peter was OIC.   We would like to include the names of everyone in the photo both here and in the Hall of Fame article, and also the approximate date the photo was taken.  There sure were some characters working in St. George's at that time!

You help would be most appreciated.

Tagged Under

Comments  

#17 John FOX 2019-04-19 10:14
I recognise several (Laurie J and Neil C both members of the fabulous swinging 60's St Georges Mess) but they look older than they were in our days in St Georges thus this picture was definitely after May 1964

Editors note - Hi John. You're correct that it was taken well after July 1964. I didn't know that you would have known Neil Cox who I seem to recall arrived in 1963 and wasn;t posted to St. George's until after the BELCO riot in 1965. Hope all is well with you and yours. For anyone who knew John, you canm read all about him in our 'Then and Now' column at http://expobermuda.com/index.php/tan/376-john-alfie-fox
Quote
#16 Terry 2019-04-14 16:35
Well to sum it up since the puzzle has not been solved ; all I can say with pride is I worked with every one of these damn good guys.

Every one.

Shalom.
Quote
#15 John Headey 2019-03-28 23:57
Yes to Brian Anderson!
Who are you referring to Davie between Mel and Dudley? Mel who? It’s Alan Kennedy, Brian Anderson, and I’m 95% certain that’s Frank Smith( who moved to ops/traffic just before I arrived, but remained living in St.Georges.). Then Dudley and Ekky.

Editors note - The guy Davie is referring to is the guy just behind Dudley Swan and immediately in front of Mel Gibbons. We have established that it is David Furbert.
Quote
#14 Davie Kerr 2019-03-28 17:21
OK, I'm happy to accept that it is David Furbert, but I do think that anyone who remembers Pete Clarke would agree that they do look very similar.
Quote
#13 Terry 2019-03-28 15:55
Quoting Davie Kerr:
Re David Furbert; I'm 99% sure that's Pete Clarke between Dudley and Mel. Having said that, though, and looked more closely at the pic, the remaining 1% thinks you might be right, as Pete didn't join the job until 1980 and this pic is WAAY earlier than that!

Editors note - I'm quite certain that it is David Furbert who wasn;t in the Service for very long. I believe Terry Cabral also ID'd him.

Went to school with David Furbert.
He joined a few years after me as a cadet.
That is David Furbert.
Once in CID he told me he did not relish the job of locking up all his cousin/s from Crawl.
He resigned.

Happy Easter.

Editors note - Thanks for clearing that up Terry. I remember him as a Cadet and as a PC and was quite sure it was him.
Quote
#12 Davie Kerr 2019-03-28 05:46
I remember taking the luggage of 5 lads who were sent east from Training School around this time, and I'm pretty sure they were Bill Cree, Mick Cresswell, Paul Hendrick, Stewart Holmes and Roger Hynd. As Mick has been ID'd as being in the pic, would any of the other 4 names fit in anywhere?
And could Eric Sanderson be in there somewhere? He went East with Messrs Anderson and Molloy after Training School.
And just for good measure, Ian Ganson and Owen Marsh, who both went East with Ronnie Boggan: I do, however, appreciate that SOMEbody must have had to work while everyone else was being photographed!

Editors note - Will have to sit down and look more closely at all these faces!
Quote
#11 Davie Kerr 2019-03-28 05:37
Re David Furbert; I'm 99% sure that's Pete Clarke between Dudley and Mel. Having said that, though, and looked more closely at the pic, the remaining 1% thinks you might be right, as Pete didn't join the job until 1980 and this pic is WAAY earlier than that!

Editors note - I'm quite certain that it is David Furbert who wasn;t in the Service for very long. I believe Terry Cabral also ID'd him.
Quote
#10 Terry 2019-03-27 18:29
Well the front row have all passed except Flooky and M.Burke.

Editors note - We have also lost Neil Cox, Laurie Jackson and Alan Kennedy in the second row. Glad to say that Dudley Swan is still very much with us, as are both his brothers-in-law , Hilton "Jellybean" Wingood and Gladwin "Doc" Hall - who are our three most senior pensioners. "Doc" joined the Bermuda Police in October 1950.
Quote
#9 Davie Kerr 2019-03-27 17:42
Have just read John Headey's comment re Brian Small: I think it's actually Brian Anderson.

Editors note - Sounds like John wasn't too sure so it's probably Brian Anderson. Can anyone else confirm? Thanks Davie.
Quote
#8 Davie Kerr 2019-03-27 17:40
I'm sure I've already ID'd most of these lads previously, but "in response to popular demand" I'll try again:-
Back from L:- Davie Anderson, Peter Jones, Ken Bent, Ronnie Boggan, Gerry Molloy.
2nd back from L:- Gemel Cato, Mel Gibbons, ?Jimmy Robertson?, ?, Dave Purcell.
3rd back from L:- Ardon Cato, ?, Bob Payne, ?, Paul Yates, Winston Esdaille, ?.
Middle from L:- Only ones I'm sure of are the 3 CID lads, Pete Clarke, Malcolm Tarte and Pat Hamlett!
2nd front from L:- Alan Kennedy, ?, ?, Dudley Swan, Ecky Laing, Laurie Jackson, Mick Cresswell, Neil Cox.
Front from L:- John "Rigor" Morris, Barrie Meade, CoP George Duckett, Peter Stubbs, Mike Burke, Brian Flook.
No guarantees on them all being correct!
Re David Furbert: I'm sure we had two in my time, 162 and 253, but I don't see either of them in this pic. However, that doesn't mean they're not there!

Editors note - I remember the other David Furbert quite well and he's right there behind Dudley Swan and directly in front of Mel Gibbons.
Quote

Add comment


Security code
Refresh